|Atlanta airport en route to Bangkok 2013|
1) Asians take pictures of everything – especially cute white American children
6) Do not sit by a Buddhist monk on Bangkok Transport System – this will result in an embarrassing exchange where you will be asked to switch seats.
7) When you are six-foot-two-inches and are shopping in India and Asia among petite people, “One size” does not in fact “fit all“
|dress for them = shirt for me|
9) These lovely mild-mannered, gracious people always smile. Even when the taxi driver is telling you “meter broke” and charging you 400 baht for a 30 baht ride.
10) Motorbike taxis are the surest way to breeze through traffic when in a hurry. It’s a thrilling ride, but it might be your last! Close your eyes and hold on for dear life.
12) Western hospitals are not only where we go for medical emergencies. It’s a great spot to grab a Starbucks, listen to live piano music and enjoy free wifi!
|balloon artist at the hospital|
14) You need to develop some serious ninja moves before walking the streets and trying to dodge sun-umbrellas, low hanging electrical wires, pot holes, construction debris, vats of hot oil right at eye level, and the Thai grandma who wants to pinch your toddlers cheeks.
15) Mapquest will say you live 12 minutes from your designated location. Figure in Bangkok traffic and 180 second traffic lights, and you will arrive by next Wednesday.
16) Non absorbent tissue paper is substituted for paper napkins and kleenex for toilet paper.
17) Mall toilets are space age contraptions that may result in flooding the bathroom and getting “poo water” sprayed on you when your 5 year old decides to experiment with buttons.
18) When dining out, keep in mind that food never comes out together…or in any particular order. So, when you choose an appetizer, entree and dessert from a set menu, don’t be surprised when your brownie ala modè comes out first.
19) NYC ain’t got nothin’ on Bangkok when it comes to shopping. There are often 3 massive malls at any major intersection. Shop till you drop…that is, if you have the means for Prada and Dolce Gabbana
20) There really is no limit to the number of people who can cram on one motorbike!